Monday, July 14, 2008

Great Beards - Ernest Hemingway

Photobucket

For better or worse, the beard is to the ‘00s what goatees were to the ‘90s with everyone from the New York Times to the Chicago Tribune (2 years later) trumpeting its return to fashion. Trends notwithstanding, hair sprouting from one’s face does not a beard make and with Great Beards, I want to highlight some admirable beards.

First up, Ernest Hemingway. Now, I'm not a big Hemingway fan. The Sun Also Risesis the only book of his that I’ve read and to be honest, I don’t see what all of the hubbub is about. However, as a posthumous furniture pitchman, bota-totingwine guzzler, wig-splitter and beard-sporter, Hemingway the character (or caricature) gets my respect.

This beard intrigues me for the simple fact that ol’ Ernest obviously spent significant time grooming and styling it, no small feat for a beard of this length. A beard doesn’t get more coiffed than this…truly a hairdo on his face.

Photobucket


No comments: